Visas and Work Permits

If you want to volunteer at Education Progress Initiatives, you will have to obtain two documents: (1) a Tourist Visa and (2) a Working Permit. The first document will get you across the border into Tanzania and allows you to ‘be’ in the country. The second document allows you to work in the country and is obligatory since volunteering is considered ‘work’ by the Tanzanian immigration rules.

A Tourist Visa lasts for 3 months and costs $50 (or $100 if you are Irish or American). The Visa is issued at the airport or any border of Tanzania upon your arrival.

A Work Permit is issued in Arusha or Dar es Salaam upon your arrival and costs $200. This allows you to stay and work with us for up to 3 months. You will need to bring 2 passport sized photographs with you for this, and we will help you to go to the Immigration Department to do the necessary paperwork.

If you wish to volunteer for more than 3 months, you need to get a long-term Residence Permit Class C and a Work Permit Class D. In total these cost $1150 and are only processed in Dar es Salaam. In order to issue these permits we will have to arrange all the necessary paperwork prior to your arrival. For a long term stay you will provide us with the following documents: 8 passport size photographs on a blue background and 2 passports sized photographs on a white background, a copy of your CV in English, a certified copy of your passport, and certified copies of your academic certificates with an English translation if necessary.